Thank goodness for technology....that's all I
can say.
Art tools have come a long way; they're nothing like they used to be.
Not many years ago correcting a sketch meant reaching for a gum
eraser or crumpling up the page and starting from scratch. Nowadays an artist can reach for the
nearest scanner and computer to manipulate those 'errors in ink'. As you
glance over the steps in creating my latest cover for
EENA,
THE TWO SISTERS,
the fourth book in The HarrowbethianSaga,
notice how the picture undergoes unusual changes made possible by a little
computer clipping, pasting, and distorting. Enjoy this cover transformation!
The first step is scribbling out a rough sketch that somewhat resembles the picture in my head. I lightly penciled out the dragon and then used black ink to draw permanent lines.
Adding a little texture with scratches, dots, and tiled scales.
After erasing the pencil marks, I scanned my drawing into the computer.
Now comes the fun part.
I use the computer as a coloring book. Add some color, shading, and highlights...
Looking better, but I'm not happy with the faces. Luckily, I can redo, scan, and paste over the existing faces. Gotta love technology!
MUCH better!
How about a background--gloomy or sunny?
Blue skies and clouds to match the book's tale. I like it.
Wait, wait, wait!
My son commented on the unusual positioning of Naga the dragon's wing. He's not a sailboat.......duh. Okay, fine, back to the drawing pad.
After scanning in the newly sketched wing, I pasted it into place and erased the original one. Then a little color and shading....
My son commented on the unusual positioning of Naga the dragon's wing. He's not a sailboat.......duh. Okay, fine, back to the drawing pad.
After scanning in the newly sketched wing, I pasted it into place and erased the original one. Then a little color and shading....
Ahhh, much better wing. Nicely positioned. My son approves.
But the tail.....it should be further back for such a large dragon. An easy correction on the computer! Just select the tail, cut and paste!
Now, I'm happy.
Time to add the title and author.
presenting the final cover for
EENA, THE TWO SISTERS
Read the first three chapters online.
This book will be available soon in e-book form at Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, iTunes, Kobo.com, and in paperback at any Espresso Book Machine!
Copyright 2014 Richelle E. Goodrich











No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.