Eena
& Richelle
An
interview with Richelle Goodrich (By Darren Worrow)
Born
in Utah and raised in Washington State, Richelle E Goodrich, the
author of novels such as Dandelions: The Disappearance of Annabelle
Fancher, and The Harrowbethian Saga (better known as “the Eena
books”), has released a new episode in the saga, Eena, the Dawn and
Rescue, through RoseDog Books. Her fantasy genre transcends her
target audience of females and young adults; us all grown-up guys are
snapping them up. Self Publisher! Magazine’s Darren Worrow caught
up with her to find out what she thinks the reason for this
popularity might be.
SP!:
Hi Richelle, and welcome to Self Publisher! Magazine. Could you give
us a quick synopsis of your Eena series and your new title, Eena,The
Dawn and Rescue?
REG:
Certainly. Eena is the story of a young woman who has a simple future
planned out, until a misguided visit to the doctor’s office begins
the unraveling of a tragic past she’s long forgotten. This first
book is about Eena’s awakening to the truth of who she really is—
heir to the throne of Harrowbeth and last living host of an enchanted
necklace. Thrown into the middle of a drawn-out civil war, she’s
forced to choose sides, ignorant of her real enemy’s identity.
Dragons, monstrous aliens, and certain characters’ paranormal
abilities make the adventure even more staggering.
SP!:
So, does this series follow a set order or can we pick up the story at any point?
REG:
All six books outline Eena’s life, but it would be easy enough to
pick up the second book and follow along. There’s enough backstory
present to suggest what events took place in the first book without
having to read it. The third and fourth books need to be read
together. They’re two parts of the same adventure. Same goes for
books five and six.
SP!:
It would seem that your work transcends its projected audience of
young women, and that men and boys enjoy them too. Was this intended
and why do you think it’s turned out this way?
REG:
Honestly, when this writing venture began, my only intent was to put
into words a story that I’d daydreamed about as a girl. It was my
attempt to write a book that I personally wanted to read. Once it was
completed, however, I dared to share the books with my girlfriends.
Their response was so positive that I since have pursued offering the
adventure to the public—to anyone willing to read it. It’s been
surprising the number of men who’ve contacted me to say they
enjoyed the book. I assume they relate to the main male characters,
Derian and Ian, Eena’s protectors. The adventure doesn’t ever sit
still; there’s always something new happening. My favorite comment
from a male reader was this: “It was a great book, kept me hooked!
Crazy how your mind works. I just had to skim past those nauseating
kissing scenes.” Made me laugh. (I happen to like nauseating
kissing scenes.)
SP!:
The fantasy genre nearly always nods to the likes of CS Lewis and JRR
Tolkien. Do you also cite these authors as influences? Do you list
any others?
REG:
Definitely, yes. I have an odd mix of reading likes; a mingling of
old classics (Les Miserables, Treasure Island, The Odyssey), a fair
share of fantasy and romance novels (The Lord of the Rings, The
Chronicles of Narnia, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Twilight,
Pride and Prejudice), and all the well-know children’s fairy tales
(Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, Charles Perrault). I like a story so
captivating that I get scolded by my family for neglecting all else
in favor of reading!
SP!:
Is writing in your blood? Have you always wanted to be an author?
REG:
I have to laugh at this question, because as a young person, writing
was the one subject I loathed. Math and science, these made sense to
me. I excelled at both. Writing, however, had no magic formula, no
‘correct’ answer, and so it frustrated me to no end. I recall one
day standing up from the kitchen table after toiling over an English
essay and announcing to anyone within earshot, “I hate writing!”
And then, no fooling, I added on these words, “Knowing my luck,
I’ll probably grow up to be a stupid writer!” Well said, child.
And now, today, I am that writer, addicted to scribbling
out a good story. If you care to read the longer version of how I
stumbled into this love for writing, you can
visit my blog at
http://regoodrichnews.blogspot.com/2012/05/whatever-made-you-want-to-write-book.html
SP!:
I believe you also like to draw, and so I was wondering if you did
the lovely cover illustrations, too?
REG:
Yes I did! Mostly, because it didn’t cost me a dime!
SP!:
So can you tell me about your novels outside of the ’Eena‘
series? How do they differ?
REG:
Well, I intentionally wanted to try something new after finishing all
six ‘Eena’ books. Dandelions: The Disappearance of Annabelle
Fancher was the result. It’s a fictional tale with elements of
fantasy, but the story is based on real events that actually occurred
in the lives of various people I’ve talked to. It’s the story of
one little girl, Annabelle Fancher, and how she copes with abuse from
a neglectful, drunken father. You will grow to love her—guaranteed—so
much so that your heart will bleed. It was a difficult book to write,
because so much of my own emotions were tried in the process. The
quote I wrote for this book that has since become somewhat popular
reads,“There are many who don’t wish to sleep for fear of
nightmares. Sadly, there are many who don’t wish to wake for the
same fear.” That encompasses the tone of the book.
My
most recent manuscript, Secrets of a Noble Key Keeper, accompanies
the ‘Dandelions’ story, but on a happier note. It is basically
Annabelle’s personally-created fairy tale; a world she has imagined
to replace the horrors of her real life.
SP!:
And what is coming after that? Is Eena finished in its six parts or
will we see more?
REG:
Hmmm. Good question. Truth be told, I have the next six-book extended
saga of Eena’s tale played out in my head. (It’s good!) But
whether or not it ever gets typed out depends on the success of the
first series. So, I guess... we’ll wait and see. At the moment, I’m
working on a new YA novel that will challenge your knowledge of both
Mayan History and the characters of Camelot. I’d better not say
anymore.
SP!:
Thanks for giving us of your time, Richelle; I’m sure
I speak for our whole community at Self Publisher when
I wish you best of luck with your writing. Could you tell us the
easiest ways for our readers to get some of your books, and perhaps
some other contact details?
REG:
Presently, Eena, the Dawn and Rescue is available in paperback or as
an ebook through Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com (bn.com),
rosedogbookstore.com, and other online bookstores. I’ve even seen
it on Ebay! I plan to have the second book in the saga, Eena, The
Return of a Queen, available as an ebook here soon. If only my cover
artist would hurry it up! (Oh wait, that ‘s me.) And, of course,
you can always follow me on Twitter @REGoodrich, or on Facebook.
SP!:
Is there anything else you would like to add, before we tell you to
get back to your writing?
REG:
Yes. Three things you should know about me: I’m addicted to dark
chocolate. (No, I do not wish to be cured.) I love the color pink.
(Because it screams girl.) And, I plan to tell a lot of stories with
nauseating kissing scenes.
4
6 S
E L F P U B L I S H E R MA G A Z I N E 2 0 1 3


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.