Today is my brother Dennis' birthday. He left this earth for Heaven a few years ago, but his
memory and spirit live on. The first image I had when thinking about him a moment ago was of him with his horse and saddle and wearing a cowboy hat. He loved his family, loved the mountains, and loved his cat, and had a pretty good understanding of people. People liked him, he was easy to get along with and had a few uncomplicated rules he lived by. He just missed one day from having a Thanksgiving birthday, although I believe next year his birth date will coincide with Thanksgiving Day. So here's to you brother, I'm sure you are happy and keeping those with you busy trying to keep up with you. Hope there are mountains in heaven. Love, Arlene

![]() |
| Dennis in middle front with brother and cousins |
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. A neighbor just dropped by and was totally dumbfounded. He had just came back from Walmart and shook his head in disbelieve. He asked, "Where do all these people come from?" Walmart is setting up for their "Black Friday" sale, that and it's the day before Thanksgiving are enough reasons to understand why the crowds. We have what we need, so we'll get things ready and prepare what food I can today, so tomorrow it will be a little easier to pull off Thanksgiving in a magnanimously agreeable and fun way with good food to eat and company to keep. Gary, Hiromi and kids, Stefanie, Brent and kids, Lanny, Angie and I will be celebrating together this year, and giving thanks for those things we have; not only things but freedoms, privileges, ideas, family, friends, and a God who loves us. From our house to your house, Happy Thanksgiving Day.
====================================================================
Memories of Thanksgiving Day
by Arlene Starr, 1946-1947
It will soon be "turkey" day. What would Thanksgiving be without a turkey. I don't recall a Thanksgiving Day in which there wasn't one. In the beginning it was my mother who prepared the big bird, stuffed with her special carrot dressing with giblets. Years later when I married we began our own traditions and I became the guardian of the prized turkey with its stuffing and magnificence. Recently Larry and Richelle have taken the spotlight, Larry with his smoked and deep fried turkeys and Richelle with her herb basted oven-baked turkey.
Some of my childhood memories are of my aunts, uncles, and cousins; Aunt May and Uncle Leonard and their girls and Aunt Violet and Uncle Burdett and their boys. They and Grandpa Oscar Johnson traveled to my parents' farm and we celebrated Thanksgiving together. Somebody always brought a pumpkin pie.
![]() |
| Uncle Burdett and Aunt Violet (I am looking for a picture of Leonard and May and will add it) |
![]() |
| Joan, Carol, Grandpa Oscar Johnson, Irene Smith, Arlene and Claudette |
![]() |
| Home I grew up in, front view |
![]() |
| Cousins and siblings |
An oval table was placed in the center of our living room and expandable leaves were added lengthening the table considerably. It was then draped with a nice tablecloth and china and silverware were set in their proper places. The silverware had been polished and shined the day before. It was a grand scene when all were seated at the table, especially seen through the eyes of a child.
In the kitchen people were buzzing around like industrious little bees getting the food ready to be served and setting up the tables for the youngsters. There were apple crates brought in for sitting upon.
A huge turkey had been cleaned, stuffed and basted earlier in the morning before a rooster would even think about crowing. We sprang from our beds to the aroma of freshly baked goodies and thoughts of festivities bouncing through our minds. The anticipation and excitement in the air bubbled over and beyond the house. Soon we would be receiving cousins, aunts, uncles and the only grandpa I ever knew. Those were good times and have made good memories.
My mother was a saint working hard to make this occasion successful and happy for those who came. My two aunts helped a great deal, as well as others. I can see the three of them in my mind's eye in their dresses and full aprons. To look at them in this photo creates a touching moment for me, especially my mother in her dress and apron. This type of clothing she wore the first years of my live before styles took a leap and women began wearing pants, slacks, denim, etc. This is one of my favorite images of Thanksgiving and of her. (I believe that I am the little toddler to the left in this picture.)
![]() |
| Irene Johnson Smith, May Johnson and Violet Price |
Heads were bowed and a prayer offered giving thanks to God above for the bounteous blessings he has given us, the food on the table, our families, our homes, our country and our rights and freedoms and responsibilities. After everyone had stuffed himself or herself and the dishes were cleared away, the table was returned to its original size and placed up against the wall. The men retired to their comfortable chairs to continue their discussion or just doze off.
The women and older children could be found in the kitchen busily washing and wiping dishes, putting away leftovers and chatting too. With Aunt May and my mother you could be certain sports would be discussed because they both loved it. Mom grew to love football especially, as television became available and provided coverage of football games. She enjoyed basketball, baseball, wrestling and boxing matches too. I'm sure they shared opinions about foods, children, styles of clothing, politics and President Truman. I remember when I was a little older the chatting, joking, laughing and chiding around the sink and felt that sure made doing dishes a lot more fun. Because really, who likes to do dishes?
With the men I would imagine the subjects discussed would cover sports because dad loved the wrestling and boxing matches and Joe Lewis was in full swing about this time with his heavy weight boxing title. President Truman had asked Americans to cut back on their use of grain, meat, poultry and eggs to help starving Europeans, who were still recovering from WWII. Everyone had his/her opinion about President Truman, some really liked him as a president. They felt he spoke directly and honestly.
Times have changed since the late 1940's and early 1950's. Each decade we see a change as marriages enter the equation, kids are born into the family, grand children make their entrances and become one of the high points of Thanksgiving. Their activities evolved from board games to computer games, and from kick the can to kick the football. Baseball and basketball were two of the favorites my cousins and my siblings played years ago, but today at our house it seems to be football, or making a snowman for the younger ones if there is snow, wrestling, sword fighting or jumping on the trampoline and then right back to the Game Cube or Nintendo.
Would I like to go back to the past? The memories are good and for that I am very grateful.
A gobble and wish to YOU for a very Happy Thanksgiving Day.











No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.