Thursday, December 15, 2011

Remembering Dad on his birthday, by Lanny H Starr

Carl Henry Starr was born in Plymouth, Utah.  He passed away on February 9, 1994, in Logan, Utah.  Lanny shares some thoughts about his dad:
"Dad was born on December 15, 1915.  He was a very handsome man when he met and married Mom.  He left Mom home with two children when he was called to serve in the military during the 2nd World War.  I can remember seeing him come home up the hill with his duffel bag over his shoulder.  Dad soon went to work at the U&I Sugar plant in Garland, Utah and worked there until his retirement.  I was privileged to be able to work with him there on several occasions, starting in my high school years.  Dad was a hard worker and skilled in many ways.  He taught me the value of giving a good day's work for an honest day's pay. 
Years later I was in Viet Nam and we were dug in on a hillside.  We had been ambushed and mortared twice that day and we knew we were probably going to be hit again that night.  As a Sargeant, I had to get tough with two brand new soldiers I had inherited that day.  I had found them crying like babies with blisters on their hands from trying to dig a foxhole in some hard ground.  They pulled themselves together and got the job done.  That night I lay in my foxhole and by moonlight I wrote a letter to Dad telling him thanks for teaching me how to work.  I was not a stranger to a shovel and hard work thanks to Dad.
Dad was not much to show emotion, in fact he was a strict disciplinarian.  But all us kids knew we were loved.  I learned early on in my teen years that if I worked hard and did my chores, Dad would let me do most anything.
Dad worked shift work during the sugar beet campaigns.  I can remember him waking up to go to work on his midnight shift.  It was sometimes very cold with a blizzard blowing outside.  Dad would be full of cold, but he would never complain and would pull his shift.
Years later just a short time before he died, I was talking to him on the phone, doing my best to tell him how much I appreciated how hard he had worked to give us a good life.  His response was "I just wish I could do it all over again."
I loved my Dad and he loved me.  I still talk to him silently quiet often when problems arise.  I always follow his advice.  Happy Birthday Dad!"
CARL HENRY STARR

Carl H, Donald, John Darold, Lois Fern, Henry Luke, and Lorietta

Carl, Sandra, Nola and Lanny

Kim, Sandra,Curtis, Lanny, Chad, Carl, Nola and Karen

Carl and baby Margene
                                                            

                                                                                               

Nola and Carl out for a swim

2 comments:

  1. That's a very nice tribute. I wish I'd known Grandpa Starr better, but I will never forget all the goodies he had for us when we came to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They just don't make them any better! I talk to him myself from time to time. A nice tribute to a wonderful Dad, Lanny!

    Chad

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.