I remember when Dad was in the Army mother would carry me, and lead my older sister down to the local general store where we would get on a greyhound bus and travel to Brigham City to spend the weekend with mother’s parents. This was done even in the winter months on a regular basis. I don't think I was much over two or three years old.
Mother also taught school at the local Plymouth Elementary School while Dad was in the service. She was the principal, and as a condition of her accepting the position it was understood that she would be allowed to take me with her. I would sit in a desk with one of the students and color pictures. When I had to go to the bathroom I would run up to her desk and she would unbutton my trousers and I would run down the hall. When I was finished I would come back to her desk so she could button me up again. I was pretty much the school mascot.
Later in life Dad got us a Shetland pony for Christmas. Being the oldest boy I was the one who rode the horse while Dad led it all over. Later after the horse was broken to ride mother would come out on the porch and hold the horse while I saddled it. Mother was deathly afraid of the horse but she knew I wanted to ride and she made the effort so I could.
I remember her cinnamon twists she would bake, and when we came home from school they would be cooling on the cupboard. I can still taste them today even though I'm not allowed to eat sweets anymore.
After Dad came home from the service, mother became a stay at home mom and was always there to greet us when we came home from school. I'm sure this had a lot to do with the fact that none of us turned out to be delinquents.
I was drafted into the Army and after stateside training I went to Viet Nam. I remember the look on Mom's face when she handed me the letter from the president telling me to report for duty. I went over to Viet Nam as an infantry sergeant responsible for a combat rifle squad. Believe me when you’re in combat, letters from home are what keep you going. They serve as quiet reminders that the world you grew up in is still there, and someone you love still cares and worries about you. I can't remember a time when that mail chopper landed that I didn't have a letter from mother.
Mom's gone now and I miss her very much. Some times when one of the kids do something special I catch myself wanting to call her and tell her about it. Her birthday is January 6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!
Her son Lanny Starr
![]() |
| Mom as a teenager at play |
![]() |
| My beautiful mother |
![]() |
| Mom, Dad, Me and Sis |
![]() |
| My Mom, sis, and me in my real leather chaps |
![]() |
| My mother and my daughter Richelle |
![]() |
| mom and dad |
![]() |
| Dad, Mom, daughter Richelle and son Gary |
![]() |
| Mom and dad getting wet |
![]() |
| My angel mom |
![]() |
| Growing old together |
![]() |
| Mom and my son Craig |












Nicely done, Dad. Grandma was a great woman.
ReplyDelete