We received a phone call from Kim, Lanny’s youngest brother, Sunday morning, February 5, 2011, telling us that Aunt Yone had passed away. I have fond memories of Aunt Yone and Uncle Don. They were very hospitable. Whenever we visited with them we were made to feel welcomed. Yone was always insistent she prepared a meal for us and if you have had the opportunity to eat one of her meals, you would never think to turn it down. I learned how to make a few Japanese dishes while visiting her that I tried on the family, but they never did taste as good as her's. One was a pork dish, which included sliced pork sautéed then a liquid sauce was added, and beaten eggs streamed into it. I even tried the fried rice but never was it as good. It’s like Grandma Loretta Starr’s chocolate cake. "Nobody can make chocolate cake like Grandma could," quote from Lanny. I would say Don did well with his choice of a spouse. Our sympathies and prayers are with the family.
We have included the family’s article for Yone’ obituary and Lanny and Sandra’s comments which they left on the mortuary’s website. We also were fortunate to find a few pictures.
![]() |
| Yone K. Starr |
Yone K. Starr
July 14, 1925 - February 5, 2012
Obituary
Yone Kasahara Starr (Mama) passed away peacefully on Feb 5, 2012. Yone was born in Kamioka, Japan on July 14, 1925 to Koto and Harukichi Kasahara.
She was the youngest of 6 children, 3 sisters and 2 brothers. She met her love Donald while he was in the Air Force and stationed in Japan. They married and had been happily together for 61 years. She raised 5 children that she was extremely proud of, Peggy (Terry) Schramm, Larry (Karen), Daryle (Shellie), Michael (Renae) and Rick (Lisa). She had 11 grandchildren and 18 great grandchildren.
After raising her family she received her US Citizenship which she was proud of and driver's license which kept children off the streets during that period. Her passion was her family who sat through many of life lessons while eating her Japanese cuisine. She loved riding the bus to Wendover to win the family fortune with Donald and her many Japanese friends.
The family wants to thank W.V.C. Dialysis staff and CNS hospice for all their kind efforts. We will miss her but know she is in good hands.
"Tadaima"
A public remembrance will be held Friday, Feb. 10, 2012 from 6-8 p.m. at Valley View Funeral Home, 4335 W. 4100 S.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 08, 2012
Dear Uncle Don and Family, I am so sorry to hear that Aunt Yone has passed from our presence. I wish I could be there in person, but I can't at this time. I remember fondly the time I spent living at your home while I attended school. I loved aunt Yone's fried rice, and I especially like to watch Darrell eat spagetti. It's hard to believe that the time has passed so quickly. May God bless you all.
Lanny, Arlene, Starr & Family
February 08, 2012
I remember the first time I met Yone . . . when she and Don stepped off the train in Ogden, Utah on their return from Japan. I was just a kid then, but Yone was so easy to love. As we grew to know one another better, and as I watched her raising her children, I was impressed with the respect that her children showed to her. I'm grateful for her example, and feel that we are all better off because we knew her. Uncle Don, I'm sorry for your loss, but you have had 61 great years together. I know that you will miss Yone, but know that she is now free from her medical problems, and I'm sure that Grandma and Grandpa greeted her with open arms. To all of you children, remember the good times . . . the good food (I'll miss the fried rice!!) . . . and the love that she had for you. Take good care of your father. He will need you more than ever now. Love to all of you. Aunt Sandra
Obituary
Yone Kasahara Starr (Mama) passed away peacefully on Feb 5, 2012. Yone was born in Kamioka, Japan on July 14, 1925 to Koto and Harukichi Kasahara.
She was the youngest of 6 children, 3 sisters and 2 brothers. She met her love Donald while he was in the Air Force and stationed in Japan. They married and had been happily together for 61 years. She raised 5 children that she was extremely proud of, Peggy (Terry) Schramm, Larry (Karen), Daryle (Shellie), Michael (Renae) and Rick (Lisa). She had 11 grandchildren and 18 great grandchildren.
After raising her family she received her US Citizenship which she was proud of and driver's license which kept children off the streets during that period. Her passion was her family who sat through many of life lessons while eating her Japanese cuisine. She loved riding the bus to Wendover to win the family fortune with Donald and her many Japanese friends.
The family wants to thank W.V.C. Dialysis staff and CNS hospice for all their kind efforts. We will miss her but know she is in good hands.
"Tadaima"
A public remembrance will be held Friday, Feb. 10, 2012 from 6-8 p.m. at Valley View Funeral Home, 4335 W. 4100 S.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 08, 2012
Dear Uncle Don and Family, I am so sorry to hear that Aunt Yone has passed from our presence. I wish I could be there in person, but I can't at this time. I remember fondly the time I spent living at your home while I attended school. I loved aunt Yone's fried rice, and I especially like to watch Darrell eat spagetti. It's hard to believe that the time has passed so quickly. May God bless you all.
Lanny, Arlene, Starr & Family
February 08, 2012
I remember the first time I met Yone . . . when she and Don stepped off the train in Ogden, Utah on their return from Japan. I was just a kid then, but Yone was so easy to love. As we grew to know one another better, and as I watched her raising her children, I was impressed with the respect that her children showed to her. I'm grateful for her example, and feel that we are all better off because we knew her. Uncle Don, I'm sorry for your loss, but you have had 61 great years together. I know that you will miss Yone, but know that she is now free from her medical problems, and I'm sure that Grandma and Grandpa greeted her with open arms. To all of you children, remember the good times . . . the good food (I'll miss the fried rice!!) . . . and the love that she had for you. Take good care of your father. He will need you more than ever now. Love to all of you. Aunt Sandra
![]() |
| Nola H. Starr, Loretta Archibald Starr, Lois Starr, Yone K. Starr |
![]() |
| Henry Luke Starr, Don Starr, Carl H. Starr, John Starr |



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.