Monday, March 19, 2012

Larry cuts down the tree in the front yard Saturday, Feb 25, 2012

I know that it isn't February anymore, but it seems like yesterday that this event took place, and I'm so slow at getting around to posting things.  Richelle did such a good job on describing this that I asked to post it on our blog. I do have a few pictures and short videos I'll include.  Grandma Turtle aka SnowQueen aka Arlene aka Binkle

"Is a very important fact that the world should know about our industrious goblin king. (Larry)  No, it isn't that he snores louder than a towering cyclops when he sleeps on his back. The dangerous bit of truth is, when you present a problem, want, or need before myR on-the-go husband, it's like flipping an 'on' switch in his head that ignites this insatiable drive to fix the problem immediately! The moral here is, please don't comment or request or even insinuate anything in front of him that you don't truly and heartily wish to see realized in the next day or so.
This is where our 'Timberrr' story begins. With my dear mother, the snow queen, making an off-hand remark.

"One of these days we need to cut down that old tree in the front yard. Grandpa ogre went to trim the limbs and found them brown and brittle. I think the poor tree is dying."

Translation of her words into goblin tongue:
"I want that dead tree gone. Bring your tools tomorrow,big boy, and cut it down."

And so, Saturday afternoon the elfin boys, Philip, Alex, and Willy, the goblin king,Larry, and I, the good witch, traveled to Starr Castle to cut down a blooming crab apple tree that had served my siblings and I faithfully throughout childhood.

Tribute to the Tree

It was a shade monster as well as a climber's toy and a great place to hang decorations (and sometimes the occasional ornery young person). Springtime the limbs always burst forth with little, pretty pink flowers; a beautiful bride bouquet for any giant she-ogre. Swarms of honeybees found their haven in that crown of pinkery, discovering a treasure chest of sweet nectar. It was an entrance post, marking a pathway to the Starr Castle for so many, many years. But alas, her time is past.

After shaving the tree clean of all branches, the goblin king sawed her down to a stump while Alex and Willy tugged the top their direction using a long, red rope. The thick, old, gnarled pole fell faster than a two-headed, fire-breathing dragon speared straight through the heart.

Timberrrrr!!!



Larry appeased his good witch wife by shaping the stump into a wooden chair, including a curved backrest. The seat was immediately tried and tested by eager elfin boys. I really rather like it!


Considering this new center seat....

"I think this would make a perfect 'time out' chair for the grandelfins," the good witch remarked, "You could place a naughty child up there and make a 'dunce cap' for him."

The old ogre laughed, picturing one of his grandchildren slumped over pouting in the high seat, facing all the neighbors. Then he voiced the honest-to-goodness, painful truth.

"You might as well just plant Willy's butt up there for good!"

I cackled out loud. Yes, I know, I am the boy's mother, but........ah well.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.