On 17 June 1936 a boy arrived at the
Smith home in Lindon. Calvin was the fourth child and second boy born
to Russell Smith and Ruth Irene Johnson Smith. Calvin J Smith was his given name and he was “an on the go” kid. Calvin's older brother Melvin came to stay only a short time with his earthly family. There was a bedroom for the two girls, Joan and Carol, and a master bedroom. Later a room was build onto the back of the home for Calvin and his younger brothers. I remember being fascinated by the huge dresser drawers in their room, biggest one I'd seen. Five more children were born to Russell and Irene; Gary, Dennis, Arlene, Brent, and Claudette. Gary lived less than a year before he was taken home to his Heavenly Father. ![]() |
| Joan, Calvin,Carol, Dennis Arlene, Brent, Claudette |
Calvin was born at the time President Heber J Grant was the president of the Church.
Pres. Grant's famous quote was “No matter in what land we may dwell the Gospel of the
Lord Jesus Christ makes us brothers and sisters, interested in each other, eager to
understand and know each other." This was appropraite for Calvin as he had a pleasant
personality and interested in others. I think he would have done almost anything for
someone if they needed it. He had a kind heart. In fact I saw examples of that.
Their first child, Randy (in the blue shirt) and Jeff (yellow shirt) I got to know. They
had more children than the four after this photo was taken. It wasn't long before I
moved to Ogden to work, and except for the year that Lanny was in Vietnam, we
didn't live nearby, so didn't have the opportunity to know the other children well.
Stefanie and I spent a little time with Jennifer, and Lanny and I sent Kyle a little
money each month while he was on his mission. We did see each other at family
get-togethers and when we came to Utah on vacation. My older daughter was
especially fond of Calvin.
I remember they had a pet rooster which stayed in their yard. Roosters seem to be an
inherent part of our family's biograhies. Uncle Leonard Johnson recalls being at his
grandmother Annette Kristina Johnson's home and a rooster came flying at his face as
he came around a haystack. Grandma Johnson made chicken soup out of that rooster.
Pres. Grant's famous quote was “No matter in what land we may dwell the Gospel of the
Lord Jesus Christ makes us brothers and sisters, interested in each other, eager to
understand and know each other." This was appropraite for Calvin as he had a pleasant
personality and interested in others. I think he would have done almost anything for
someone if they needed it. He had a kind heart. In fact I saw examples of that.
The year Calvin was born, 1936, was a leap year. June 1936 was also one of the hottest
periods in parts of America, the last year of the Dust Bowl. Many people died from
exposure to the extreme heat. The 1936 Summer Olympics known as the games of the
XI Olympiad was held in Berlin, Germany. Jesse Cleveland Owens won four gold
medals in the sprint and long jump events breaking many records. He was the most
successful athlete at the 1936 Summer Olympics.
periods in parts of America, the last year of the Dust Bowl. Many people died from
exposure to the extreme heat. The 1936 Summer Olympics known as the games of the
XI Olympiad was held in Berlin, Germany. Jesse Cleveland Owens won four gold
medals in the sprint and long jump events breaking many records. He was the most
successful athlete at the 1936 Summer Olympics.
Some of my personal memories of Calvin:
One of my first memories is standing by my mother as she was looking out the window.
Suddenly she said: “That's your brother walking down the road!” Calvin, dressed in his
army uniform and carrying a duffel bag, was walking along the road towards the house.
We ran out to greet him, for we hadn't seen him for a long period of time. He had been
away in the army. I don't remember too much about him before he left, but now that
he was home we got to know each other. He was eight years older than I.
One of my first memories is standing by my mother as she was looking out the window.
Suddenly she said: “That's your brother walking down the road!” Calvin, dressed in his
army uniform and carrying a duffel bag, was walking along the road towards the house.
We ran out to greet him, for we hadn't seen him for a long period of time. He had been
away in the army. I don't remember too much about him before he left, but now that
he was home we got to know each other. He was eight years older than I.
It wasn't long before he fell in love with a lovely girl named
Joan Grosbeck. I remember getting to know Joan, and how
much in love she was with him. I remember on one occasion
she had a date with Calvin but she wasn't feeling well. She
told me that she was in no way going to cancel that date, it
was that important to her. She was from a family of boys
and the chance of having sisters was exciting for her.

Joan and Calvin had set the date for their marriage on his birthday I believe but for
some reason they had to reschedule for the 19th of January instead. I was one of her
bridesmaids. Calvin did well in his choosing of a wife and mother for their children.
Joan Grosbeck. I remember getting to know Joan, and how
much in love she was with him. I remember on one occasion
she had a date with Calvin but she wasn't feeling well. She
told me that she was in no way going to cancel that date, it
was that important to her. She was from a family of boys
and the chance of having sisters was exciting for her.

Joan and Calvin had set the date for their marriage on his birthday I believe but for
some reason they had to reschedule for the 19th of January instead. I was one of her
bridesmaids. Calvin did well in his choosing of a wife and mother for their children.
Their first child, Randy (in the blue shirt) and Jeff (yellow shirt) I got to know. They
had more children than the four after this photo was taken. It wasn't long before I
moved to Ogden to work, and except for the year that Lanny was in Vietnam, we
didn't live nearby, so didn't have the opportunity to know the other children well.
Stefanie and I spent a little time with Jennifer, and Lanny and I sent Kyle a little
money each month while he was on his mission. We did see each other at family
get-togethers and when we came to Utah on vacation. My older daughter was
especially fond of Calvin.
I remember they had a pet rooster which stayed in their yard. Roosters seem to be an
inherent part of our family's biograhies. Uncle Leonard Johnson recalls being at his
grandmother Annette Kristina Johnson's home and a rooster came flying at his face as
he came around a haystack. Grandma Johnson made chicken soup out of that rooster.
Calvin become ill and the illness led to his heart being damaged. It was determined that
he would need a heart transplant so the family sponsored several fund raisers to get the
money needed. Meanwhile Calvin was taking heart medication and seemed to be doing
well enough not to pursuit the transplant at the time. He went back to work and
resumed as normal a life as possible.
Several years later Calvin and Joan were in an automobile accident and both were
hospitalized with serious injuries. A few weeks later Calvin died of complications from
his injury. With determination Joan regained the use of her legs. Joan resume an active
life, moved to Arizona near some of her children and was active in church and a care
provider for an elderly woman.
he would need a heart transplant so the family sponsored several fund raisers to get the
money needed. Meanwhile Calvin was taking heart medication and seemed to be doing
well enough not to pursuit the transplant at the time. He went back to work and
resumed as normal a life as possible.
Several years later Calvin and Joan were in an automobile accident and both were
hospitalized with serious injuries. A few weeks later Calvin died of complications from
his injury. With determination Joan regained the use of her legs. Joan resume an active
life, moved to Arizona near some of her children and was active in church and a care
provider for an elderly woman.
Lanny and I attended Calvin's funeral in
January, a few days before our granddaughter
Olivia was born. We said goodbye to a dear
brother and friend, and upon returning to
Moses Lake, went immediately to the hospital
and said hello to a new spirit, Olivia Giles.
Maybe they greeted each other in passing.
by ArleneJanuary, a few days before our granddaughter
Olivia was born. We said goodbye to a dear
brother and friend, and upon returning to
Moses Lake, went immediately to the hospital
and said hello to a new spirit, Olivia Giles.
Maybe they greeted each other in passing.
![]() |
| Kyle Russell and Gaylene |
![]() |
| Gary, Kyle, Jennifer, Joan Seeing Gary off for his mission to Japan from the SLC International Airport. |











No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.