Sunday, August 26, 2012

It would have been Frank Monson's birthday today



Tribute to Frank Baker Monson by Arlene Starr


Today would have been Frank's birthday. He was born on August 26, and was my sister Carol's husband. I was pretty young when Carol announced she was getting married. Realizing that she wouldn't be living with us anymore threw me into shock. She was one of my two older sisters, Joan the oldest had already married and left home. Even now I remember how terrible I felt. Carol was only 17 but had graduated from high school when she got married. She and Frank lived close by so we were able to visit them often. I remember when their first child Brian was born and how excited Frank was. It was the beginning of his life as a father, and he proved to be a good one.

Cheryl, Brian, Frank, Carol, Elaine and Kevin
When I moved from home to Ogden I lived with them on Sullivan Road. I was fortunate to find a job with an attorney after a few weeks but continued to live with them for about a year before moving into an apartment. While living with them I attended their ward each Sunday, enjoyed Carol's superb cooking, enjoyed their children, and sadly to say, drove Frank and Carol crazy with my shenanigans. They were not only raising their four children, but they dealt with me. I know now, after having raised my own children I was not an easy addition for them. Thank goodness we do grow up. Frank was there for me when I needed a guiding hand, counseling, and a push in the right direction. I remember going head to head with him in a confrontation; I remember the camping trip to Yellowstone Park with them, my mother and younger sister, Claudette. I have a few pictures of that trip included here.

Frank, Elaine and Kevin in Yellowstone Park
I remember how adapted he was to the dialect of different people and how caring he was. He was a people person and those who dealt with him in his business thought very highly of him. I remember his sense of humor; for example, after attending a ballet with Carol, he came through the door of the house and began to perform his own ballet. That was a sight to behold as well as quite amusing. He could make me laugh, he could make me angry but he also made me very glad he was part of the family.  Speaking of his sense of humor, he also liked to clown around.  Here is a picture to prove what a good sport he was.


Richelle pulling Frank and Lanny
 

Lanny and I had our reception in their home on the evening of December 20, 1967, and many of their ward friends attended. We are indebted to them for their love and hospitality and all they have done for us, not only at this reception, but allowing me to stay with them until I was settled, and for being there for Lanny and I as we began our first years together.
Our visits to Utah always included a stop at their home. Our children got to know them through these visits and family gatherings at Mom's house, especially the Memorial Day barbecue in her backyard. I have a few special pictures of Frank and his interaction with our family.

Here's to the guy who married my sister, even after meeting her for the first time while she had the mumps and didn't look quite like her beautiful self. He must have seen through the swollen appearance to her beauty, charm, and good nature.

If you were here I'd hug you and wish you a happy birthday.
Kevin, Elaine, Frank, Carol, Mom
front:  Lanny and Cheryl at the
World's Fair in Spokane, Washington
Frank and Lanny
Memories 0f Frank Monson By Lanny Starr
I first met Frank when I started to date Arlene. He was very friendly and easy to get to know. I felt relaxed and at ease the first time we met. Frank was a great kidder and was always laughing and joking. Arlene was living in an all girls' dormitory known as Ester Hall which was not too far from Frank’s home in Ogden Utah. We spent a great deal of time at Franks home eating dinner, watching TV, or just visiting. Frank proved to be my kind of guy. He never put on airs. What you saw was what you got. I learned to trust Frank and he became one of my favorite people on Arlene’s side of the family. It was a sad day when Frank departed from this life. I have missed him and his humor. I still think of him from time to time when something happens that makes me remember the many good times we had with each other. I’m not what you would call a strong religious type person, but I’ll bet you Frank is one of those people who will meet me when it’s my time to go to the great beyond.
 
Lanny Starr

1 comment:

  1. I remember Uncle Frank too. He was a great guy; so funny and kind and always smiling. This was a nice tribute to him, Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.