My youngest sister Claudette has a birthday today, August 31, 2012
She is two years younger than I, and we have a brother Brent between us. We three were the last of the family to be born to Russell and Irene Smith. Six other siblings
were born several years before us. We were the caboose, the tag-a-longs, the ones
who kept our parents feeling young! the spoiled ones, the ones who required babysitting from our older siblings, Joan and Carol.
Claudette was much more daring (and
darling) than I and much more adventurous. She was a beautiful
child. Later on in life mom and I use to comment about her cute face, her nice
complexion, and her youthful look; no saggy jaws but high cheek bones
and an oval face. I don't think she realize how attractive she was.
She was too busy with life, pursuing all its challenges, teasing
Brent, or challenging someone.
| Claudette, Dennette, Arlene |
She was fast with her hands as were Joan and Mom, when it came to picking fruit, snapping beans, or whatever. She played catch for our church girls' softball team, was very good academically and scored high on the civil service tests, very high.
![]() |
| Linda, Claudette, Arlene Not for real, the smiles are a give away. |
One experience I remember fondly about my younger sister is one argument we got into and we ended up wrestling each other. After exerting much energy and trying to triumph over the other we became exhausted, stopped, looked at each other and began laughing. It was too funny to be mad any longer. Any ill feelings were gone. Now I'm not suggesting this is the way to end arguments, but for us at that particular time it worked.
Claudette met Kay Hansen and married him in the Salt Lake Temple in 1966. I was on my mission back east at the time so missed her wedding but heard that it was very nice.
I am indebted to my younger sister for diligently typing page after page of notes, talks and stories that I copied on my mission and sent to her. They were assembled into a book which I have used for talks during my mission and afterward. I thank her for the many hours she devoted in doing this for me. I really did appreciate it.
Who was Claudette's best friend?
She has related to me that mom was her “best friend.” She included mom in nearly everything she did. Mom really enjoyed having her nearby and going with her to help at the church or to eat at McDonald’s. I don't know if they went for walks together,
but each did include walking as one of their daily routines. Mom was so dedicated in
taking her walks every morning, come rain or shine. I believe that she was walking up to a few months before she passed away.
Claudette is a good mother, a good
grandmother, and is a caring person. She never gives up, is a fighter and not afraid to speak up. She also is a good companion for her husband Kay. They have had to endure a lot of illness and problems but have managed to stay relatively active and happy. Claudette is always helping her children and grandchildren. One of the things that she does for them is to drive her grandchildren to school and other activities. I think she loves doing this. She'd go crazy not having things to do.
![]() |
| Snoqualmie Falls |
![]() |
| Johnny, Brent, Linda, Arlene, Claudette |
![]() |
| Arlene, Linda, Claudette |
![]() |
| Claudette, our home, Elaine, a niece |
![]() |
| At Mom's funeral Arlene, Dennis, Calvin, Brent, Claudette, Carol, Joan |
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIS.
Love you, Arlene











No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.