Thursday, January 31, 2013

Nola Hopkins Starr was born January 6, 1914

Nola Lucille Hopkins Starr

I thought I would continue with my resolution to write something about at least one of our ancestors each month. This month it will be Lanny's mother Nola Lucille Hopkins Starr. In the first paragraph it shows that four individuals were born in the month of January.  Nola writes:


“I was born January 6, 1914 at Brigham City, Utah, in a home now located on third west and third north. I was born just one day after my father's birthday, and four days before my grandfather Baird's and three days before my grandfather Hopkins birthday. I was the second child and daughter of Elmer Bryce and Alexanderina Baird Hopkins.”



(Skipping ahead a few years)

“When I was five we moved to the third ward again a house just north of the one I was born in....While here I had smallpox, measles, whooping cough and typhoid fever. I almost died with the smallpox and if it had not been for prayer I may. The doctor didn't know what was wrong with me and I hadn't broken out. He figured it was stomach convulsions and was having mother put cold packs on me. When I became terribly ill, my eyes rolled back, and Mother feared I was dying, she had Daddy give me a blessing. I opened my eyes and said, 'Take these cold packs off and put warm ones on.' She did so and in a short time I broke out from head to toe with smallpox, and became better.

I began school in the Lincoln School at six years of age. That was one place where I was not backward. I dearly loved school. Miss Flora Watkins was my teacher and I loved her. She married that year and became Mrs. Josephson.

My second grade teacher was Maurine Olsen. Here I received my first school punishment. I was made to sit in the slow section for talking. I was so embarrassed. In those days they divided you into sections A, B, and C, according to your scholastic ability and even used this as a form of discipline. This grading of pupils in this open manner must have made many a child feel inferior and unhappy. I am glad they discontinued it.

This year I was baptized on March 4, 1922, by Clement M. Wilson at the old tithing house. I was confirmed the same day and place by J. Francis Merrill. Because of flu in Brigham, churches had been discontinued for a while.

My third grade teacher was Miss Alice Reeder. Here I used to correct spelling papers for the teacher.

It was the fall before I began fourth grade, that I had typhoid and had to start school late. The teacher, Miss Alice Forsgren, put me in the second section at first. I felt terribly bad (maybe this is why I felt so strongly about grading and seating pupils this way), but was soon glad as they transferred me to the first section when she heard me read. By this age I always had my head in a book and loved reading. My main hobby as a child was reading and as I was growing up I spent hours at the library and at home reading.

During my fourth year, I was in the school operetta. Some of the tinsel from my fairy costume got in my weak eye and caused infection. My whole check swelled up and had to be lanced. Daddy did it with a sterilized razor blade. This was risky business but in those days you didn't go to a doctor unless it was absolutely necessary).  Years later, when I was teaching, I had the tear duct which had closed up during my smallpox sickness and caused the weak eye opened up by Doctor Stauffer in Salt Lake City.

The last of my fourth year we moved into the old Lorenzo Snow home on North Main. This had formerly been used as a stagecoach station.”

(skipping ahead...)

“...Since I have grown up I realize that I would have been better off if I had not gone through school feeling that I had to be tops in all my school work. If I didn’t make the highest score in the class or win first place in any contest, I was embarrassed and felt I was a failure. When my children came along I always said I hoped they would be good students but I didn't want them to feel they had to be tops always or they were failing. It's just good school was easy for me and I could get good grades or I would really have been frustrated. On the other hand, perhaps the fact that I could usually do well gave me confidence and was good for my shy personality, for though I always felt inferior around other people generally and held back, yet in school I felt confident and could take part in all activities because I knew I could do well. It was the same with church activities.

My High School days were happy days. I was a member of the school debating team, assistant editor of the school paper, and school representative in the Lewis Oratorical contest at Ogden High.

I earned my money to buy books and pay tuition all during my time at Box Elder by picking beans for the Perry Cannery, as well as picking other fruit such as strawberries, raspberries, dewberries (Ugh!), and cherries.

My proudest moments in school were when I was chosen to represent my Seminary graduating class and my High School graduating class as valedictorian. I graduated from Seminary in 1931, and High School in 1932.

My great desire now was to go to college but I knew it was financial impossible at the time. There was a depression on and Daddy had little work. I was given a scholarship to the University of Utah in Salt Lake but knowing I could not meet all the other expenses I gave it up. That fall I got an offer to go to Weber College, then a church school. It was in Ogden as I could live at home and ride a school bus.

Delores and I attended Weber two years. When I went down to register after being invited to attend by Pre. Monson of the college, Delores (as usual) went along with me, and we ended up both being registered in the school of Education. We came home that night alternately laughing and crying. Here we were both attending college and hardly a dime to our name and Daddy without a job. Daddy cashed in an insurance policy to help pay for bus and books and we made a small loan from the business and Professional Women's Club which I paid back the first year I taught school. We graduated in June 1934. Some of the happiest days of our lives were spent here...



After graduation which took place in the Orpheum Theater in Ogden, I received a contract to teach school in Box Elder county...


It was in Plymouth, Sept 5, 1935, that I met Carl. I was introduced to him by Mr. Jackman. I was boarding at the Jackmans while I taught.  Mr. Jackman was M.I.A. President and had chosen Carl as secretary and as Era director. Carl called to see Mr. Jackman about the Improvement Era campaign and Mr. Jackman introduced us. Toward the last of October, we were both in a Mutual play. He began taking me to rehearsals and we became good friends. My first regular date with him was to a Halloween dance in the Bear River High School. From then on we were constantly together. On May 30, 1936, I accepted a diamond from him and on June 18, 1937, we were married in the Logan Temple for time and all eternity by Apostle George F. Richards, president of the Council of the twelve.

We spent our first night in the Logan hotel then went to Brigham for a dinner, and then to Plymouth for the Archibald reunion dinner and dance. I was now Mrs. Carl Henry Starr and very happy and proud of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.