Saturday, January 19, 2013

Remembering Dennis, January 15, 2012

REMEMBERING DENNIS



I was reading a book entitled "A Thought For Today by Verle A. and Theron C. Liddle.  This book was given to me by a friend in my earlier days.  she inscribed on the page next to the front cover this, "To my dear little friend, Arlene Smith, from Ivy Houtz Woolley (Mrs. Arthur) Sep. 64.  While reading it I came across a thought which reminded me of Dennis.  Of course I didn't need to read a thought to remember that it was just a few days over a year ago that he passed away.  It seems like it was just yesterday.

The thought I am referring to was written by Washington Irving, American Author, 1783-1859.  It goes like this, "There is a remembrance of the dead, to which we turn even from the charms of the living.  These we would not exchange for the song of pleasure or the burst of revelry."

We would not exchange the memories we have for Dennis and other loved ones who have returned to their Father in Heaven for "the song of pleasure or the burst of revelry."  May they know that we think about them often.  As for Dennis we miss his teasing, we miss his yarns, and we miss him.

Here is another thought from the same book that reminded me of Dennis, which is by Abraham Lincoln.  "Die when I may, I want it said of me by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow."



Relating this to Dennis we would apply it literally as well as symbolically.   He was extremely neat in his grooming of their yard and pulled every weed and probably sprayed them also. He  was also a blessing to many people in that he could encourage them.  I took a bunch of pictures of his yard the one year we went down to recover Angie's Mustang, but the roll of film never made it back with me.  This is the only picture I have to show just how neat their yard is.













And the last thought I want to list here is one taken from Martin Luther.  He writes, "God writes the Gospel not in the Bible alone, but on trees, and flowers and clouds, and stars."

For Dennis we should add "and mountains, and rivers, and lakes."
Provo River Valley



"Hats off to you, brother."  Here's a salute from one of your favorite movie stars.



by your sister, Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.