Happy Mother's Day
When thinking about what to say and do for a blog page on mothers, an idea possessed me that I thought might be interesting. Why not do a match-up game on mothers and compliments paid them by their children.Mothers come in many shapes and sizes, and possess different talents, abilities and personalities. Some are quiet and shy, others robust and dramatic, and we have this complexity of mothers in our family tree, all blossoming and rich in traditions and generous with their love for their children.
In the video on lds.org entitled "To Every Mother" I grabbed one quote I particularly liked. "Every time a child is born, So is a mother." To the mothers in our families, we wish you a happy Mother's day with love and kindness shown to you for all you do, the tucking in, the cheering up, the teaching, and the many other acts of motherhood. Below are pictures of mothers and compliments paid to them by their children. See if you can match up compliment to the mother it was intended for and who submitted it. Love, Arlene/wife/mother/grandma
#1. My
first memorable memory was going to school with her when I was only
about three years old. The war was on and she was asked to be the
school principal at the Plymouth elementary school. She accepted only
when they agreed to let her take me with her to school. She taught
the 4th, 5th, and
6th grades. I would sit with one of the boys
in class and color pictures. When I had to go potty I would go to
mothers desk and she would unbutton my trousers in the rear and I
would trot off to the boys restroom. Once I had relieved myself I
would trot back to the classroom and Mom would button me back up and
I would go back to my desk. When I was sick it was
Mom who sat up with me and always made me feel better. Mom was about
as close as you could get here on earth to becoming an angel. I've
often wonder why God had favored me with such a great mom.
#2. My
mom is a great grandma! She will do anything for her grand kids and
always wants them to have the best. She works hard and loves her
children no matter what. She is also a great friend that I can call
up and chat to. Someone I trust. (I would like to add something. Your mom has done an
magnificent job in family research, writing biographies for the families, our's and her's. We appreciate it so much.)
#3. My
mom has the most beautiful flowers ever. She plants so many
flower pots and they always turn out so big and beautiful. She
knows just how to baby them. Whenever I go to her house it is
so fun to see all the different plants she has planted. She has
given me the love for flowers and I also plant a lot of flowers but
they still do not compare to hers. She is as sweet and kind as the
flowers are beautiful. I love you mom.
#4. My
mom will be 88 yrs old this summer. She was a HS teacher for homemaking class and a student counselor who could listen if students
needed to discuss some personal problems, etc. She always took care of
and worried about her family. She doesn't care what people think
about her. She loves nature like wild animals, flowers, the stars
etc. She is very stubborn but the nicest person in my life. I am very
lucky to have her for my mother.
#5. Her
talents were beautiful perfect button hole stitches and blankets and
quilts. Her stuffing always had grated carrots and she always had chocolate
chip cookies and snicker doodle cookies in the cookie jar. For
Christmas she made divinity and fudge. Great cherry pies!
I'll
always remember Memorial Day,
Thanksgiving Day, the farm, watering the lawn and running barefoot, and picking fruit and helping sell her apple cider.
She
loved football, basketball was second to football. She always favored the “underdog.” It
was she who brought the family together through family gatherings and having a home that allowed for visits anytime. Her
character was exemplary. Never did I hear a cuss word from her
mouth. She was
a hard worker and an early riser.

#6 If
you should happen along some day and see a young lady standing on a
chair on top of a table, scrubbing the ceiling, then see her hop down
and run out and clean two big chicken coops, rush back and mow the
lawn, after having milked a cow and fed the chickens, then tidy up
her house and bake bread and
a batch of cinnamon rolls, then complain
about being so slow because it is already 10:30 in the morning that
young lady is our 80 year “young” mother and grandmother. (this
was written several years ago)#7 Mom was what a mom is suppose to be so I think we all just took it for granted that she would be there to cook, to clean, to help us out with whatever the current project was, to make us hot jello to drink when we were sick, and to drop us off or pick us up from wherever we went. My mom is all sorts of things. She is intelligent (that's where we get it), selfless (ask ____ who once referred to her as an angel), faithful (four children to church every Sunday, what more needs to be said there) and caring (also known as the human seat belt because of her tendency to throw her arm across your body when applying the breaks suddenly!" She is known for many things but the best mother in the world pretty much sums it up, don't you agree!":) "Mothers give us life, love, and the heartfelt inclination to cry, 'I want my mommy,' no matter how old we get."
![]() |
| #A Irene Johnson Smith |
![]() |
| #B Arlene Smith Starr |
![]() |
| #C Maxine Green Smith |
![]() |
| #D Setsuko Takami |
![]() |
| #E Nola Lucille Hopkins Starr |
![]() |
| #F Carol Smith Grovesnor |
![]() |
| #G Loretta Archibald Starr |








#1 is Lanny Starr's Mom - Nola Starr
ReplyDelete#2 is Maxine Green Smith
#3 is Cheryl's Mom - Carol Grovesnor
#4 is Hiromi Starr's Mom - Setsuko Takami
#5 is Arlene Starr's Mom - Irene Smith
#6 is Lanny's Grandma - Loretta Archibald Starr
#7 is Gary, Angie, & Stefanie's Mom (Mine too) - Arlene Starr
These are my guesses!
-Richelle E. Goodrich
Congratulations Richelle, These are all correct answers.
ReplyDeleteHowever, Stefanie and her boys called last night and
also answered them correctly. You all are so awesome
for participating. And I hope that you learned a little
more about your relatives, like Hiromi's mother and Lanny's
grandmother who Gary and Richelle may remember visiting
on their farm and seeing their pond and geese and enjoying
Great Grandma's chocolate cake. Love, Mom (Arlene)
Gary also participated in our match-up game, and we were thrilled to hear from him. We so appreciate the contributions you all made for this blog page.
ReplyDeleteArlene-Lanny